The Online AA degree program is hosted at Leeward Community College and supported by the University of Hawai`i Community College system.
The Online AA degree program is an Associate in Arts (AA) in Liberal Arts degree program offered fully-online with accelerated courses. An AA degree can also be used to establish a solid foundation to pursue a bachelor’s degree in the future.
What Students Can Expect in the Online AA Degree Program:
* Full-Time Life, Part-Time School: Students focus on just one 5-week online asynchronous (independent learning – login at your own time), completing 3 classes per semester. There’s no pressure to be a full-time student in this program. You can keep working full-time/part-time, raising keiki, etc. and pursue your college degree! View a Sample Online AA Degree Plan.
* Fully-Online College Experience: Students are exempt from submitting the state required health clearances if they are enrolled in this fully-online degree program. Additionally, all courses, administrative processes, tutoring services, communication with instructors and counselors, etc. will all be done 100% online. There’s no need to ever set foot on our college campuses!
* General Education: The courses in this program are offered through all UH community colleges and are based on UH’s general education requirements (English, math, history, social sciences, and natural sciences). There are select courses offered in the 5-week online format each semester. Students planning to pursue pre-nursing, pre-education (teaching), or any STEM-related fields in the future may NOT be the “best fit” for this program due to their programs having specific requirements that may not be offered in this accelerated format. However, students looking to complete general education requirements and/or business or psychology/social sciences will likely find that the courses offered through this program meet their needs and give them a well-rounded general education.
* One-on-One Academic Counseling: Every student is unique from their needs and goals to their prior college experience; working directly with an academic counselor, course schedules are based on student’s needs and goals, and are guided from the time they are admitted to Leeward CC to the time they graduate! You can be sure the path you’re on is the right one for YOU!
* Earn a Transfer-Ready Degree: Although you do not need to earn your associate’s degree before pursuing a bachelor’s degree, this program meets the needs of students who are open and exploring their academic/career options as well as students who have a specific bachelor’s degree goal in mind! Completing general education requirements and earning an AA Liberal Arts degree is a great way to be able to focus on major-specific courses if and when students are ready to transfer to a 4-year campus and pursue a bachelor’s degree! Students are encouraged to explore bachelor’s degree programs offered online through UH.
How to Get Started in the Online AA Degree Program:
1. Apply: Since this program is hosted at Leeward CC, new students will first need to apply to Leeward CC. On the online application, be sure to select the term you wish to apply for (i.e. when you want to begin classes) and choose “Liberal Arts (Online) – Associate of Arts” program as your major. You will be notified via email once you’ve been admitted.
2. Orientation & Advising: Leeward CC has New Student Orientation (NSO) and Incoming Student Advising (ISA) requirements that all students, including those in the Online AA program, are required to complete. During the ISA appointment, students will discuss their goals and develop an academic plan that will help determine their first set of courses in the Online AA program.
3. Pay Tuition/Fees: After working with an academic counselor to register for classes, students are prompted to pay tuition/fees by the tuition deadlines. All payment processes may be completed online through MyUH Services. View Cost of Attendance/Tuition information.
Online AA Information Sessions
Learn more about the program to determine if it’s a good fit for you by registering for a live, online (synchronous) information session. View Online AA Information Sessions dates and register to participate!
Online Learning Orientation
If you are new to online learning, consider doing the Online Learning Orientation. Although it is not required for students in this program to complete, it is a great way to get familiar with Laulima (online portal in which your classes will be housed) and learn more about being an online college student BEFORE you jump into your first 5-week online class! View Online Learning Orientation details and request access!
For more information, please contact Jordan Lewton, Online Counselor for the Online AA program at Leeward CC by email Thank you in advance for your interest and inquiry.